Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Church School Bullying

This candid photo shows the isolation I felt in academy. I'm the kid standing alone in the doorway, trying to figure out what do do with my hands and arms, nothing feeling natural. I've rooted myself. against the door frame, unwilling to commit either to coming into the room or remaining without.
I've got a bad case of the Church School Blues.

Is CHURCH SCHOOL BLUES the only book around that tells the story of bullying in a religious school setting?  In my search, I am finding many books on bullying in general, and a few documentaries about the subject of bullying in churches and religious schools, but other than that, BLUES seems to stand alone.

It's not the first time I've stood alone.  

So perhaps I shouldn't be surprised that BLUES is alone on the shelf.

Although I wonder.

Are religious schools still in denial that bad things can happen there?

Bullying in a secular setting is one thing.

Bullying in a religious setting is another.  Why?  Because it isn't just a matter of not fitting in with a social group.  It is a matter of fitting in with one's religious group.  If one doesn't experience belonging there, eventually, one leaves to find some place where one can fit in.

That's what I did.





No comments:

Post a Comment